In two days we end our month-long program. I will be sad to see such dear students leave – bonds have formed and pictures have been taken – students and staff alike will store remember these experiences for years to come.
Next week I return to my regular schedule, working 1-9, Monday through Friday. I teach only middle school students who come for one week at a time. A new group of students will come the following week, and so on. As excited as I am to meet new students, part of me is sad to see the chaos and spontaneity go. Our weekly program is much more structured and much less demanding – things that lead to routine, rather than excitement. My challenge will be to remember that, for each student, it is their first time hearing these lessons, participating in these classes, and spending time with these people. It is new for them and I need to keep it new within me.
So what have I done since the last update? A plethora of things, ranging from cooking class, to dance studio, to newspaper class, to craft club, to conversation class, to movie night, and back again. I have met Korean friends in Seoul, made a trip to the nearest Costco (bring on the cheaper bulk foods), and gotten paid to drink coffee and talk to customers who want to practice English.
On the down side, I have also now visited a Korean doctor’s office, been on Korean meds, and suffered from bronchitis and infection while in Korea. There is something much more intimidating about going to a doctor in another country and in another language. (Having to explain the simplest things can get complicated in a hurry.) God is always good and it was a blessing to have Korean friends intercede on my behalf, taking me to a doctor and insisting on the care I needed. Two weeks into this ordeal, the meds are kicking in and I am beginning to feel better. That alone is a blessing.
Not too much else is happening – some staff are leaving and others are coming. I am enjoying my time in bible study Tuesday evenings and I am thoroughly excited to attend church this coming Sunday with a group of Korean friends. All in all, things are going well here and I am settled into the routine and expectations of the program. I’ve received my first paycheck and am on my way to becoming a millionaire (well, in Korean won, mind you) =)
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, emails, prayers, and messages. It is an encouragement to hear from home and I love staying connected to the happenings of friends and family. Take care and continue to keep in touch.
~Renee
No comments:
Post a Comment